I love chips! I love the salt, the crunch, the taste, basically everything about them. The only thing I don’t love is staring at the bottom of an empty chip bag, realizing it was me who ate the entire thing, and then dealing with the guilt of consuming all those empty calories. In my house we have a rule, we don’t keep chips around, and therefore helping to save me from myself. So what’s a healthy alternative when you have that salt/crunch craving? Kale Chips! Kale chips are just dehydrated pieces of kale. The great thing with Kale chips is you can make them in 10 mins and get them to taste however you want. Kale chips are a great alternative to regular chips, they satisfy that salt/crunch craving, are packed full of nutrients, and easy to make; kale is one of the most nutrient dense cruciferous vegetable, and easily found at most grocery stores.
The Many benefits of Mighty Kale:
♦ An excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, and contains manganese, fibre, and minerals
♦ Contains high amount of antioxidants like Quercetin and Kaempferol. Antioxidants help combat free radicals in our body. Free radicals cause oxidative damage, and are known to contribute to faster aging, as well as certain diseases.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1 Bunch of Organic Curly Kale (Kale is part of the dirty dozen, so best to buy it organic)
- 1 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil – melted
- 2x Pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt
Options for a different flavour:
*1/2 tsp of Organic Chili Powder & 1/2 tsp Organic Paprika for a BBQ chip flavour
*Onion Powder instead of Himalayan Pink Salt for an Onion chip flavour
*I also like Curry powder and Turmeric
*Nutritional Yeast flakes will add a cheesy flavour
♦ Nutritional Yeast contains fibre, protein, is a great source for B-vitamins, and also contains many different minerals
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Wash and cut Kale into bite size pieces (I use a salad spinner to dry the kale, It crisps better when it’s dry)
- In a bowl toss the kale chips with coconut oil and flavouring of choice
- Bake for 10-12 mins on 350. Make sure to keep an eye on the Kale as its baking. I usually check at 8 mins because depending on the size of the kale and your oven the kale can go from crispy brown to burnt very fast.
- Once they have reached your desired crunch, remove from oven and let cool for about 3 mins, this helps them crisp a bit more
- Bon Appetit!